Thursday, September 22, 2011

Weekly IP Blog #2

What I did
Sun. 9/18/11: 3 hours, 45min.
Researched more graphic design topics, themes, and different projects I could possibly do. Found new very inspiring artists and work! I developed my I.P. ideas on variations of scale, printing methods, transparencies, and lighting for my work. Sketched possible display ideas for my project and things I found interesting during my research. 

Tues. 9/20/11: 3 hours 1/2.
Looked for books, images, and researched in the Fine Arts Library. Spoke with librarians about image databases the university provides. I reflected back on the small group meetings we had and why I liked my natural disasters idea more.  
  
Weds. 9/21/11: 2 hours and 1/2.
Looked up more in depth the topics and artists suggested to me from the group meeting Tuesday. Went through tutorials about clouds and sky effects. I also explored more websites on digital painting. 

Thurs. 9/22/11: about 2 hours. Plus 45min or so looking back on the work I did this past week.
Took photos of the sky, sun, and leafs, for reference.  Also did a bit of research on photography and photographers’ styles in capturing nature. Considered the differences between Illustrations of nature vs. photos of nature.


What I accomplished/discovered/encountered
A big accomplishment I made this week was gaining more confidence in my natural disasters idea.  I learned more about photography and all the great possibilities I could have in displaying and printing off this idea. I learned about websites and companies that print on fabric, glass, and aluminum. I also discovered new artists and photographers. 

The painter Mark Garro was very inspiring to me because his paintings incorporated nature and landscapes of storms in an almost realistic yet fantasy fashion that I had envisioned doing. I especially loved his painting with water and snow. The image below is “Nigh School” from one of his recent shows. 

http://markgarro.com/shows/psychopomp-and-circumstance/
The photographer Lori Nix was also recommended to me because of her use of depth perception, capturing the mock ups of nature or landscapes she created. Her snow and peaceful images are very inspiring for the avalanche digital painting I want to create.
http://www.lorinix.net/kansas/index.html

I encountered that the hard thing about my project is how much realism do I want or need in order for each natural disaster to be recognized.  I could use images with digital painting or just paint and use my own effects with out realistic images. The idea of experiencing a natural disaster through big digital prints or prints on windows keeps creeping in. Do I want to convey the experience or portray just the irony of beauty and terror in natural disasters?     

What I think I should do next
For next week I plan to further push my natural disasters idea because it became much more concrete this week.  Last week I was still looking at other graphic work and projects, and now I want to try to merge the digital fine art aspects I love with my fascination of the irony natural disasters have in being both beautiful and terrifying. I need to develop my digital skills, so I will work on that this weekend with a student from CCS.  I also will take on a “new habit” by posting note cards on my studio wall for each natural disaster I am interested in depicting. I will also come up with key words to go with each disaster and set the styles/moods I want them to portray (either individually or together). I’ll be looking more in the books for inspiration and ideation.  
     

1 comment:

  1. Hey Marian!
    Sorry to take a few extra days to get this to you. Thank YOU so much for getting your blog entry in on time! Keep that up.
    Overall, your writing here is too vague and I'm not really sure what you've been working on/discovering. You do a better job with this down in the section where you include artists work that inspires you. There you go into some detail there about WHY you are inspired by these works -- this how you should be doing all of your blog. In the "what I did" section, tell us what KIND of graphic design topics you researched. Tell us all the different "kinds of projects" you could do that you mention (this is HUGE!). When you tell us you "reflected back on the small group meetings" tell us what you came to. Even if you do not feel like they are break-through moments now, they might be later.
    I am so happy you are finding more and more avenues of interest in this natural disasters idea (there is so much there to work with! exciting!) You are talking about these natural disasters being both beautiful and terrifying. What aspects are beautiful? Which are terrifying? Where are the overlaps? What else to you (in general) is both terrifying and beautiful?
    Last week you were talking about how these natural disasters change society. What examples in particular are you thinking of? Recently? In history? Any particular area of the world you are interested in exploring? There have been a lot of natural disasters in the news in the last year or so all over the world, but also pleanty right here in the US. Can you see ways these occurances are changing society now? TONS of questions, I know, but you've got a lot to dig into here. Happy to answer any questions you have about all of this. See you at the studio soon!
    Juliet

    ReplyDelete