Thursday, January 5, 2012

December Consultation Reflection

Key things my faculty pannel discussed:
-my exploration of the sublime
-the improvement and importance of vantage point
-my digital painting quality
-my two digital painting styles. The first style of my hurricane combines more of my hand drawn sketches, textures, and digital style. It’s good in being more expressive and interesting to see, but lacks unity in combining my different working methods. My second style in the volcano looks too much like a video game rendering. Instead it needs to show something new or awing. 
-methods for printing my final project, printing on glass being maybe too expensive and constraining


Implications going forward:
-I need to make my natural disasters more immersive in order for them to be visually successful in capturing their beauty and terror. So the vantage point and compositions for each natural disaster is something I plan to revisit. 
-I also plan on reading the book Landscape and Memory by Simon Schama that was recommended, as well as looking at works done by Caspar Friedrich, J M W Turner, and Emmit Gowin.
-exploring the sublime, what it means and how I can create that sort of style for each natural disaster. What I’m thinking of trying now is to abstract the form of my natural disasters more and then exaggerate certain parts or elements that identify them.
-how maybe I should just stick to working digitally 
-take on the challenge of creating a new look for my natural disasters by successfully combining my current digital styles, research, and ideas of the sublime
 

1 comment:

  1. Hi Marian! Thanks for posting on time. If you decide to not print on glass afterall, that opens you up to not only altering vantage point (as you would regardless of printing material, but also opens you up to enlarging the SCALE! Try doing a cheapie print test of one of your drawings (or a newer version of one of your drawings so that is is LARGER THAN YOU. see what happens :)

    ReplyDelete