Thursday, March 8, 2012

Weekly IP Blog#19

What I did
Sat.  3/3/12: About 4.5 hours rewriting my thesis, made some changes to my research. 1 hour and 45min working on my SAS grant application for printing my project. 

Sun. 3/4/12: 3 hours and 25min finishing the second draft of my thesis.  Reworked my volcano digital painting for about 1.5 hours.

Mon. 3/5/12: 4 hours digitally painting 3 versions of my volcano. Explored new perspectives and lighting ideas. 

Tues. 3/6/12: Spoke with Stephanie, Hannah, and Juliet about my new volcano drafts. Made a trip to Paragon Display Group Quotes and spent about an hour and half looking at their pricing and printing options for my project. They are pretty expensive even with the student discount. 1 hour editing my SAS grant application. Digitally painted for about 4 hours.

Weds. 2/15/12: 2.5 hours digitally painting another versions of my volcano with a more immersive perspective. 

Thurs. 2/16/12: Got in touch with Stephanie at Artisan Colour, Inc. to compare printing options and prices again. Contacted other printing companies,  G & B Graphics. 2 hours and 45min reflecting on my work this week and printing arrangements.


What I accomplished/discovered/encountered
What I accomplished this week was getting farther on the vantage point of my volcano and completing the second draft of my thesis. I felt a better writing the second version of my thesis than the first, my thoughts just felt clearer after having pulled out my important research and points for my first draft. I’ve also been looking into more affordable printing options and complete my application for the SAS grant application to help pay for getting my project printed. It’s getting close to getting my natural disasters ready to print and I am very excited to so. 

Digitally painting this week was fun because I explored more compositions and better effects based on the work and brushes I’ve discovered over the last couple of weeks. I was playing with paper, cloth, and my lap to see plan out what new vantage point would be interesting to see my volcano that was no longer seeing it from a distance or as front shot. I discovered that it would be interesting to have a composition where the viewer is looking out from inside the volcano and seeing the top hole and outside sky. This is easier to imagine than to digitally paint, but I took on the task and came up with my compositions below. The other compositions I made this week display my volcano as seen from a distance, so this newer version was my attempt of making my volcano more immersive.  I want the feeling of tension, magnificent lighting, and walls of fire be what is felt for my volcano with beautiful but alerting “pow” from the explosion of lava. So I really worked hard Tuesday and Wednesday digitally painting my volcano with these new ideas and styles to make it more sublime.





On Tuesday I made a trip out to Paragon Display Group in Ann Arbor and went over prices and other printing options with a lady named Gen. Paragon offers great plexiglass mounting and the dibond mounting material James had recommended. The bad thing is that Paragon’s prices are really high, even with the student discount. The smallest size I am willing to print my project is 36”x46”, and for all three of my prints they quoted a total of $934.57 which is more than getting the larger prints done directly onto glass and shipping from Artisan Colour, Inc. I heard back from one of the managers at Paragon Display Group today and they are giving me more of discount but at the smaller size of 30”x40” for about $646.28. So far I don’t think I can order my prints at Paragon and with Artisan Colour, Inc. in Arizona I have the huge risk of me not having more control about the color of my prints and less time to finish my volcano. I plan on looking more into other printing companies that will at least print my work at 36”x46” and get it mounted on plexiglass. Even with the SAS grant I have a budget of about $168-$170 to print my project, and that includes some of my personal money.

What I think I should do next
I plan on completing or close to completing my volcano by next week. I really need to get moving because I need to place my print orders soon, I’m setting a printing deadline for March 28th. I’ve been in contact with other printers in Ann Arbor and found G & B Graphics, their reprehensive Kevin was extremely helpful today! He is going to send me quotes for printing and mounting my work this weekend. I also plan next week to get quotes from Sign Stuff in Livonia, Express Graphics in Indiana that Michigan Print, Copy, Mail recommended. There is also Britten Media in Traverse City that can help me out. I also plan on getting feedback from Janie Paul in the next couple of weeks; she has been busy and not able to plan a good time to meet. Getting feedback from different people is what I am trying to do overall and it helps getting insight on things people notice at first glance that I don’t.    

No comments:

Post a Comment