Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Tuesday Critique

In presenting my three tornado prints to my peers, I got great feed back and reactions to the digital painting I created. I printed a light version of a tornado on printing paper, a darker stormy version on photo paper, and the same dark version on thick tracing paper. The print on the tracing paper really helped people understand why I want to print on glass and are encouraging me to have light showing through my prints.

It was really exciting to hear what version, the lighter tornado or the darker one, was more successful. People liked both, but it was based on the different aspects each displayed.  The lighter tornado was more abstract, softer, alluring, and unique and that was exciting to hear because that was what I want my series to display. The darker tornado was more successful in the digital effects I created, line quality, and projected more movement. It was good to hear that I got the important aspects of a tornado to come through in different ways on both versions. I was worried about my work needing an environment to help identify the tornado, but I got assurance that it was not necessary. It was interesting to see how people were torn in favoring just one of the prints. I think a version displaying the good qualities of each of the version I created would be most successful.

It was hard to get people to like just one print, but it went to show that one version had what the other did not. It got me thinking about what aspects I should keep and why, such as the digital effects in the lightening I painted being impacting but a bit distracting. It will hard to come up with new composition for the rest of my series that needs to be improved, they cant be to direct in what they are or too abstract.   

What I plan to do next is to digital paint a volcanic eruption or whirl pool. During the critique we talked about different kinds of storm forms, such as a whirl pool, so sketching one or two out would be fun. I also will be thinking about new and more interesting compositions I could digitally paint for my natural disasters. Also exploring color and the time of day they can convey is a new aspect I need to consider more in developing my paintings.  



      

No comments:

Post a Comment