Wednesday, October 12, 2011

IP Project Proposal, Sources & References, Weekly Timeline


Sources & References

1.) Painter Oliver Vernon
Oliver Vernon creates abstract movements and action in his paintings that are very inspirational for the kind of action I want my natural disaster series to have. He has a very surreal and figurative style that references nature and how it takes can use space. I like the physical and chaotic presence of his work, it’s the kind of presence I want to portray digitally.       


Oliver Vernon, Last Stop, acrylic on panel

2.) Photographic References
Photos of real natural disasters and geological images to help remind me what these storms actually look like. They also serve as a reference for the colors I can use for each storm. 







3.) Sailor Moon, series and concept art
The art illustrations of Sailor Moon have symbolized elements of nature in the powers and attacks the characters in the story use. The illustrated forces, movements, and exaggerated effects highlight the forces of nature in a similar way my digital effects will enhance my natural disaster.




4.) Artist Gary Fernández
Gary Fernández’s elegant and demanding style in his prints are extremely inspirational. He uses patterns and organic silhouettes that reminds me of water, leafs, and hill valleys. His large prints are visually powerful by displaying wondrous forms that convey dimensions in space. Creating strong graphic dimensions in the forms of my natural disasters is what his work is inspiring me to do.   

http://www.garyfernandez.net/

5.) Fairies by Yoshitaka Amano, DH Press.
I very much enjoy Yoshitaka Amano’s serene and lovely style. The free flowing flowers and scenery depictions in this book are visually inspiring in how lose my painting style and stokes can be, especially for wind or snow.  He is also another artist that captures chaotic movements in his work and that helps me think about better compositions for my project. 





6.) Anselm Kiefer
His work is visually very powerful and demands attention. I think it is important for my work to be demanding in order to depict the ironic phenomenal natural disasters are in being beautiful and terrible. His color tones are also very inspiring for the earthquake digital painting I want to create. 

Weekly Timeline

Oct. 16-Oct. 22: Do more in depth research on the metamorphic meanings of natural disasters. Read poems, personal accounts, and stories about natural disasters. Sketch and further develop my series by thinking about dimensions for each print and their qualities. 

Oct. 23-Oct .29: Have improved compositions from my research and inspirations in exploring different meanings of natural disasters.  Better improve my digital painting skills and style. Find out where and how much it will cost to get Diasec prints, also explore other alternatives. Start researching grants or scholarships to apply for. Look into applying for a Student Mini Grant with Arts at Michigan.   

Oct. 30-Nov. 5: Start applications for grants and scholarships. Have at least three digital paintings created. Continue researching and sketching ideas. Try to finalize what my project is really about and why it is important for people to see the unexpected paradox of the beauty and terror found in natural disasters. Try to get feedback on why people should fund my work by asking professors, other artists, and friends for input. Finish and turn in application for Student Mini Grant with Arts at Michigan.
            Friday Nov. 4: Deadline for Student Mini Grant with Arts at Michigan.
  
Nov. 6-Nov. 12: Have a good amount of research material gathered about natural disasters, what makes them unique and worth depicting. Meet with my tutor from CCS; receive feedback on my digital skills and ideas. Have an improved proposal and three to four strong digital prints done for my grant application. Try to know what dimensions, methods of printing, and number of natural disasters my project will have.  
      Thursday Nov. 10: Turn in grant application.

Nov. 13-Nov. 19: Have four strong digital pieces done to present. Meet with my tutor from CCS if not having done so the week before. Know if it is possible for me to get Diasec prints ordered, if not what alternatives will I be using. Have the scale size of my prints determined, depending on my printing methods and funding.

Nov. 20-Nov. 26: Have five to six digital prints done; get feedback on prints and work. Fix what’s not working in my project and maybe keep exploring different printing methods. Make sure my decisions about printing and scale size is possible to achieve and will appropriately present my work. Find out what galleries or spaces I should get in contact with.

Nov. 27-Dec. 3: Have six digital natural disasters done, at the latest by Nov. 30. Have all my strong research gathered for my presentation. Practice presenting and figure out the best way to show my work and process. Try to have a good idea of where I can present my work and methods of printing by now. Have most of my IP Faculty Consultations materials ready to turn in along with a rough outline of my presentation. Work on improving my thesis and proposal.  

Dec. 4-Dec. 10: Reflect on feedback from presenting in front of mentors and friends. Have another version of my thesis and proposal more finalized with specifics about location and printing methods. Make refinements or changes to my digital paintings if needed. Be prepared for the next week’s IP Faculty Consultations by writing a more concise outline and thesis. Also make sure all the natural disasters are printed properly and that my thesis is refined.  
            Monday Dec. 5: Turn in IP Faculty Consultations materials

Dec. 11-Dec 17: Be comfortable presenting and familiar with my outline. Present my natural disasters to the IP Faculty in a professional and understanding way, clearly highlight my thesis. Reflect on my presentation, what points were successful and what points were not. Make proper changed to my natural disasters series based on my IP Faculty Consultation.
            Dec. 14-15: IP Faculty Presentations

Dec. 18-Dec 24: Continue to reflect on IP Faculty Consultation and maybe get new input from different people. Refine my schedule and project timeline for the winter semester. Get the resources I need in order to continue working on my natural disasters, try to edit my thesis more thoroughly.

Dec. 25-Dec. 31: Relax a bit and step back from my project. Take some time to think about how I want to finish my senior year, remind myself what makes my project important. Edit and finish my fist written thesis before the winter semester begins.

Jan. 1-Jan 7: Come back to school a bit more refreshed. Start working with the changes I’ve made in my thesis and project. Sketch or recreate new and improved versions of my natural disasters.
            Jan. 4-5: Turn in first draft of written thesis.

Jan. 8-Jan. 14: Meet up with my CCS tutor and get more input on developing my natural disasters. Work on making the necessary changes my project needs based on my development and presentations thus far.

Jan. 15- Jan. 21: Continue my working processes on reestablishing and improving my natural disasters. Check that my printing and presentation methods are still in check or make changes.

Jan. 22- Jan. 28: Have the new versions of my natural disasters critiqued; make sure I am really making the proper changes and not losing the important aspects of my work. Check what parts of my work or skills still need to be improved. Revisit my first written thesis after turning it in.

 Jan. 29- Feb. 4: Make sure my work is looking ok and that I’m not falling behind schedule. Check in early February that my funding, printing, and showcasing arrangements have been made and if not hurry to get them figured out by the end of the month.

Feb. 5-Feb. 11: Continue working and refining my project. Get at the details of each disaster. Print off work to see how it comes out in comparison to how it looks on screen. Display prints in reference to the dimensions and methods of showcasing for others and myself to see.    

Feb. 12-Feb. 18: Still work and improve my series, run more prints and experiments with digital effects. Check I’m not falling behind schedule.

Feb. 19-Feb. 25: Research more methods that could further push the aesthetics or theme of my work. Refresh my thoughts by sketching or visiting art shows if needed.   

Feb. 26-Mar. 3: Try to limit changes by early March. Start setting up the orders or printing process for my natural disasters. Set up a better timeline for March and April, think about arranging help for setting up my work.

Mar. 4-Mar. 10: Finalize my natural disaster paintings this week, or at the latest next week. Have final critiques and get really concise reactions from people as to what they see in my natural disasters. Leave time open to get my project printed and set up for display. Check the test prints look good and imagine them in the space I arranged for display.

Mar. 11- Mar 17: Really push to get my series printed off early this week just incase something goes wrong. Keep track of print order or other methods of display. Continue getting feedback on test prints from peers and mentors. Finalize the location for displaying my work if not having done so already, or make new arrangements.

Mar. 18-Mar. 24: Make proper arrangements to have my digital prints taken to the space or gallery where they will be displayed. Start inviting people to the space to get feedback on how they like the location and how the natural disasters can be arranged. 

Mar. 25-Mar. 31: Brainstorm on my final written thesis. Explore and experience setting up the space properly for my project. Try several different arrangements of my work. Bring people to see the different arrangements, what they like or don’t like. Consider adding or removing lighting effects to the space.

Apr. 1-Apr. 7: Really have my project arrangements finalized. Be ready to turn in prints to the gallery and leave them in the space. Reflect on my work and how it evolved. Revisit my first written thesis and write about the changes and growth in my project thus far.
            Apr. 2-3: Turn in work to gallery installers

Apr. 8-Apr. 14: Work on writing my final thesis. Have people edit it; get some reactions to my overall work. Consider how I could have done the project better and why it turned out the way it did.

Apr. 15-Apr. 22: Write my final thesis with a true understanding on how my natural disasters project evolved during the year. Consider how it conveyed a message about nature. Reflect on how I grew as an artist and impacted people with my IP project.
            Apr. 22: turn in final written thesis.  

No comments:

Post a Comment